Install /e/ on a Asus Zenfone Max Pro M2 - “X01BD”
- If required take a backup of all important data from your phone on an external storage device before proceeding.
- Do not take a backup on the same device as some of these actions will format the device and delete the backup.
- Ensure your phone is charged more than 50%
- Check that
fastbootare enabled on your PC. If not you can find the setup instructions here
- Download all the files and images mentioned in the download section below before starting the installation
Make sure you have a working data cable to connect your device to the PC. There are cables which are only for charging and do not transfer data.
- Enable USB debugging on your device. You can find the instructions here
Downloads for the X01BD
To understand the difference between /e/OS builds check this guide
Unlocking the bootloader
Download the bootloader unlock app for your device:
- Navigate to ASUS’ support site and go to your device’s page by entering its model number.
- Click Driver & Tools
- Select Android from the drop-down menu
- Open the Utilities section
- Download the Unlock Device App
- If the downloaded file is packaged in a
.ziparchive, extract it.
Connect the device to your PC via USB.
On the computer, open a command prompt (on Windows) or terminal (on Linux or macOS) window and change to the location where the Unlock Device App
- Install the
adb install Name_of_unlock_app.apk
Run the application Unlock Device Tool from the device and agree to the terms.
Follow the steps as given on the ASUS support site to complete the unlock process
Press the button to unlock your device.
- The device should automatically reboot into bootloader mode and the message
unlock successfully...reboot after 5 secondsshould be displayed. The device will then reboot and load Android.
Booting a custom recovery using
Before proceeding ensure you have downloaded the custom recovery from the link given in the Download section above
Connect your device to your PC via USB.
On the computer, open a command prompt (on Windows) or terminal (on Linux or macOS) window, and type:
adb reboot bootloader
You can also boot into fastboot mode via a key combination:
- With the device powered off
- hold Volume Up + Power. Keep holding both buttons until the words “Fastboot Mode” appear on the screen, then release.
4. Once the device is in fastboot mode, verify your PC finds it by typing:
no permissions fastbootwhile on Linux or macOS, try running fastboot as root
fastboot getvar.. ,
fastboot flash… try a different USB port (preferably a USB Type-A 2.0 one) or a USB hub
5. Flash a recovery image onto your device by typing
fastboot flash recovery recoveryfilename.img
recoveryfilenamewith the name of the recovery image you downloaded in the previous section
6. Now reboot into recovery to verify the installation:
- With the device powered off
- hold Volume Down + Power. Keep holding both buttons until the “ASUS” logo appears on the screen, then release
Steps to install /e/OS from recovery
On /e/ Recovery Main Screen:
Format data / Factory resetoption
- Next screen will display a warning that this action cannot be undone
Format datato proceed or
Cancelif you want to go back
If you selected
Format data..the format process will completeTip: You will see text in small font on the lower left side of the screen mentioning format progress
The small font text would be similar to this
Wiping data Formatting/data Formatting/cache Data wipe complete
Display will now return to the Factory Reset screenTip: Use the volume up key to choose the arrow at the top to go back to main screen
In /e/ Recovery main screen:
Apply Updateand in next screen
Apply update from adb
In the next screen, the device is now in sideload mode
Note at this point the Cancel option is highlighted that does not mean you have canceled the action. The device is in adb sideload mode.
On your PC type begin adb sideload. Type the below command in a console
adb sideload downloaded_file_name.zip
Replace downloaded_file_name.zip with the name of the /e/ OS file you downloaded in the previous section
enterkey on the keyboard to start the sideloading The screen will show the progress percentage…This might pause at 47%
- Give it some time
- The PC console will now display
Total xfer: 1.00x
- The phone screen will now display some text with a message similar to
Script succeeded result was [1.000000]
This means that the install was successful
- Use the
volume keyto select the
back arrowon the top left of the phone screen
- Go back to the main screen and select
Reboot system now
The reboot process may take 5 - 10 minutes
To find some troubleshooting tips… click here
- Getting a
Total xFer ':' 0.01xmessage - Try to upload the /e/OS to internal storage and retry to install
adb ':' sideload connection failed ':' insufficient permissions for deviceerror - Try to execute the commands
adb start-serverand retry
adb shell twrp install /sdcard/</e/ zip package>raise non-existent directory error - Try to check solution here
- Getting an
insufficient permissionserror - Try the solution given here
- When running "adb devices" in bash a device is shown as "unauthorized" - Try the solution given here
- Errors while running TWRP version 3.4.x.x or above - Try downloading and using a previous TWRP version.. below 3.4.x.x
- In TWRP if this error shows up
failed to mount /preload- Try in TWRP
wipescreen in advanced menu select
swipe to wipe
/cache/recovery/xxx -> no such file or directoryerror while flashing a ROM - On PC run
adb shellin the console now create a folder called recovery for e.g. here the devicecode name is violet "violet :/cache# mkdir recovery"
- Trying to troubleshoot mobile connectivity issues - Read this guide