Install /e/ on a Xiaomi Poco F1 - “beryllium”
- If required take a backup of all important data from your phone on an external storage device before proceeding.
- Do not take a backup on the same device as some of these actions will format the device and delete the backup.
- A guide on backing up with TWRP is available here
- Ensure your phone is charged more than 50%
- Check that
fastbootare enabled on your PC. If not you can find the setup instructions here
- Download all the files and images mentioned in the download section below before starting the installation
Make sure you have a working data cable to connect your device to the PC. There are cables which are only for charging and do not transfer data.
- Enable USB debugging on your device. You can find the instructions here
Downloads for the beryllium
- Custom recovery (not required if you already have it running on your phone)
- /e/OS build : R dev
To understand the difference between /e/OS builds check this guide
- Follow the steps to install the stock ROM as given on the vendor site
- Once the Stock ROM is flashed check if it is working for e.g receiving and making calls, audio, FMRadio ..
- Next enable developer options on the phone
- Ensure the device bootloader is unlocked. Flashing stock ROM can lock the bootloader on some devices.
- Follow the device unlock guidelines as suggested by your vendor. For e.g. on Xiaomi devices it would require running the Mi Unlock tool. Since the device was already unlocked the process should take a couple of minutes only.
Unlocking the bootloader
- Create a Mi account on Xiaomi’s website.
- Add a phone number to your Mi account.
- Insert a SIM into your phone.
- Enable developer options in
About Phoneby repeatedly tapping
- Link the device to your Mi account in
Mi Unlock status.
- Download the Mi Unlock app (Windows is required to run the app).
- Run the Mi Unlock app and follow the instructions provided by the app. It may tell you that you have to wait up to 30 days. If it does so, please wait the quoted amount of time before continuing to the next step!
- After device and Mi account are successfully verified, the bootloader should be unlocked.
- Since the device resets completely, you will need to re-enable USB debugging to continue.
A Mi account is required to apply for permissions. You don’t need to re-apply for permissions to unlock new devices, but beware that one account is only allowed to unlock one unique device every 30 days.
It is highly recommended to have the latest official MIUI dev package installed on the device, before proceeding with unlock.
Booting a custom recovery using
Before proceeding ensure you have downloaded the custom recovery from the link given in the Download section above
Connect your device to your PC via USB.
On the computer, open a command prompt (on Windows) or terminal (on Linux or macOS) window, and type:
adb reboot bootloader
You can also boot into fastboot mode via a key combination:
- With the device powered off
- hold Volume Down + Power. Keep holding both buttons until the word “FASTBOOT” appears on the screen, then release.
4. Once the device is in fastboot mode, verify your PC finds it by typing:
no permissions fastbootwhile on Linux or macOS, try running fastboot as root
fastboot getvar.. ,
fastboot flash… try a different USB port (preferably a USB Type-A 2.0 one) or a USB hub
5. Flash a recovery image onto your device by typing
fastboot flash recovery recoveryfilename.img
recoveryfilenamewith the name of the recovery image you downloaded in the previous section
6. Now reboot into recovery to verify the installation:
- With the device powered off
- hold Volume Up + Power.
Installing /e/ from recovery
Before proceeding ensure you have downloaded the /e/OS for your device, from the link given in the Downloads section above
If you aren’t already in recovery mode, reboot into recovery mode by typing the below command in the console of an adb enabled PC
adb reboot recoveryTip: You can also do this manually using the below key combination
- With the device powered off, hold Volume Up + Power.
In TWRP return to main menu, then tap
Format Dataand continue with the formatting process.
Here a new screen may show where you will have to type
Yesand confirm the action by clicking a button.Caution: Format Data will remove encryption as well as delete all files stored on the internal storage. Remember to take a backup first. Check Requirements section above.
Return to the previous menu and tap
Systempartitions to be wiped and then
Swipe to Wipe
Sideload the /e/ .zip package.Tip: Sideload requires actions in two places to be done. One on your phone in the TWRP UI and secondly on the connected PC which should have adb enabled. Also note the sideload process while running may stop abruptly around 50%. The console would show a message
Total xfer: 1.00x. This would mean that the transfer has successfully completed.
- On the device in TWRP,
ADB Sideload, then swipe to begin sideload.
- On the host machine, in the console , start the sideload of the package by typing
adb sideload filename.zipTip: Change the filename to the name of the file you downloaded
- On the device in TWRP,
Once installation has finished, return to the main menu, tap Reboot, and then System
To find some troubleshooting tips… click here
- Getting a
Total xFer ':' 0.01xmessage - Try to upload the /e/OS to internal storage and retry to install
adb ':' sideload connection failed ':' insufficient permissions for deviceerror - Try to execute the commands
adb start-serverand retry
adb shell twrp install /sdcard/</e/ zip package>raise non-existent directory error - Try to check solution here
- Getting an
insufficient permissionserror - Try the solution given here
- When running "adb devices" in bash a device is shown as "unauthorized" - Try the solution given here
- Errors while running TWRP version 3.4.x.x or above - Try downloading and using a previous TWRP version.. below 3.4.x.x
- In TWRP if this error shows up
failed to mount /preload- Try in TWRP
wipescreen in advanced menu select
swipe to wipe
/cache/recovery/xxx -> no such file or directoryerror while flashing a ROM - On PC run
adb shellin the console now create a folder called recovery for e.g. here the devicecode name is violet "violet :/cache# mkdir recovery"
- Trying to troubleshoot mobile connectivity issues - Read this guide